What is a Cross - Cultural College?
Kwansei Gakuin University (KGU), Japan, has received a subsidy from the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) "Re-Inventing Japan Project" from FY2011 to 2015, to establish a Canada-Japan collaborative education project - a "Cross-Cultural College (CCC)" in collaboration with Mount Allison University, Queen's University, and the University of Toronto.
The programs of CCC will be held in both countries, and thanks to the subsidy, there will be financial support for student mobility between Japan and Canada, and also for accommodation and course fees.
What is the "Re-Inventing Japan Project?"
"Re-Inventing Japan" is a subsidiary program of MEXT. It intends to extend focused fiscal aid from its FY2011 budget to university projects aimed at establishing high-quality cooperative education programs with universities in Asian, American or other developed countries, to promote internationalization of Japanese universities. In FY 2011, 25 programs from 19 universities have been awarded support by MEXT.
The objectives of the Cross - Cultural College :
to educate the leaders of the future, who possess
- The basic knowledge and multicultural awareness which will enable them to contribute to the sustainable development of society, and to solve the problems facing that society.
- A grasp of the common issues facing Canada and Japan, and the ability to propose solutions based on a comprehensive understanding of the cultural background of the two societies.
- The ability to communicate effectively in a multi-cultural context, including a high level of language skills so that they may both understand the opinions and viewpoints of others, and communicate their own.
- An interest in other cultures and societies, and the ability to work effectively in collaboration with people from diverse backgrounds, with understanding of and respect for their values.
- The confidence and determination to act effectively in a multicultural environment, based on practical experience of working with people from other cultures.